I've been very busy recently making lots of yummy vegan treats, and sharing them with you all to enjoy this holiday! I love mince pies, but I wanted to create a guilt-free version, which is not high in fats or sugar. The pastry isn't like your usual short-crust pastry, as it contains wholesome ingredients like ground almonds which are high in protein, dates & coconut oil which help the mixture bind and add sweetness.
Rich in natural sugars, dates provide an immediate burst of energy, whilst chia seeds are not only superfoods, they are super fuel foods too! They provide a stable supply of long last energy thanks to their high protein, good fats and fibre content. Chia seeds are also packed with calcium, Omega 3s and antioxidants – no wonder they are so super!
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees, gas mark 4.Chop the apples into little chunks and place into a large saucepan and add in the orange juice & zest, sweetner, raisins, lemon zest, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
Heat on low for 20-25 minutes until the apples soften. While the mincemeat cooks, make the pastry.
2. In a food processor, add in the ground almonds, flour, coconut oil, dates and water. Whizz up until combined, this will take around 3-5 minutes on high.
3. Grease 2 cupcake tins with dairy-free butter or coconut oil.
4. Flour a clean work surface.
5. Roll out the pastry until around 1/2cm thick.
Cut out with a circle cutter to fit in the cupcake tin, then place into the lined tin. With leftover pastry, cut out some decorative stars.
6. Place the pastries case into the oven and allow to bake for 6-8 minutes.
7. Once the pastry cases are slightly golden, remove them from the oven and fill each pastry case with your homemade mince meat and place a star on top.
8. Pop the mince pies back into the oven and allow to bake for a further 8 minutes. Once they've baked, place them onto a cooling rack to cool, or enjoy them warm.
For an extra Christmas touch, sprinkle over some icing sugar (optional).
Keep stored in a sealed container (once fully cool).
Hello I am Holly Jade & I am the owner of The Little Blog of Vegan. I post yummy recipes, advice & beauty tips daily. Everything I talk about is vegan & cruelty-free. I love to be as healthy as possible, but I do love to make the odd sweet treat recipe. I also love to post my own adorable & pastel daily photos on Instagram, why not check it out & come on the journey with me :)
Inspiration for a healthy life!Click here for the blog
8 healthy, hearty and delicious homemade soups.Click here to download
Watch the video
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!